Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Quick Update

Been a while since I posted, this is mostly due to being on paternity leave and taking care of my son.  I am also waiting on photos from a few friends of mine to accompany a few posts I have in mind.  This weekend should have all the photos and will get to work on writing.  One post will go into detail on a Super-Ultralight (SUL) overnight trip I took.  For those of you that don't know, SUL is backpacking with a base weight (all gear plus backpack, without food, water, and other consumables) of less than 5lbs or about 2280g.  


This was my first trip where I intentionally packed SUL--in the past I have taken less than 5lbs, but a lot of those trips were just recklessness of youth, i.e. only taking a small blanket and a can of beans.  My recent overnight backpacking trip in Spain was probably SUL, but I did not bother to weigh everything or make a gear list as it was a last minute trip.


Speaking of that Spain trip, I will also post more pictures of that trip as soon as I get them back from my friend Manolo that went with me.  What a beautiful spot I was lucky enough to experience, and I can't wait to see the pictures.


In the future I also plan on writing a post explaining the factors that I consider when I chose to backpack SUL, UL, or light weight.  I doubt I will ever go back to traditional backpacking, which is a base weight over 20lbs or about 9kg.


Okay, that's it for now, more on the way soon.  In the meantime, here are a few random pictures (big thanks to Johan for these and all his wonderful photography when we go out together) from this past year: